Friday, August 23, 2013

Profit and Loss- Quest For 11 Figures Update- 2 Months In

When I first started this venture I was planning on pumping out a Naglfar every two weeks or so (it takes 11 days to build the thing, and some extra time to buy/build the capital components as well as sell the darn thing).  I had 2.9B liquid, a fair amount of BPOs for capital components (about half) and a Nag BPO.  Naglfars had BUY orders for around 2.9-3.0B with a build cost of around 2.3-2.4B (and that is using jita sell order prices).  That means that a conservative estimate was 500M per Nag, or about a bill a month assuming a Nag built every 2 weeks.

Two months in, I have just recently sold my first Naglfar.  How did I do?  Not well.
I sold my first nag at a price of 2.32 Billion (net of order and sales tax fees).  So what went wrong?
1: In the two months, prices have fallen for minerals, rather heavily.  Build Cost is now about 2.0B, roughly a 15-20% decline.
2: The war in fountain is now over, lowering that temporary demand for Naglfars, pushing prices down.
3: Two weeks in, I decided to research ME to 1 on my BPO.  This did indeed lower the BPO inefficiency from 10% to 5%, however, it took a month (33 days), during which period prices for minerals fell further than the 5% savings I was gaining by doing the research.  The smart thing would have been to sell all minerals I had attained at that time, and buy them up again once the BPO was close to done researching.

Where do things stand now?  The buy orders for Naglfars are very close to the build cost of roughly 2B.  However, there is a rather large spread between buy and sell orders.  The lowest sell order in The forge is currently 2.74B (some other regions are less, but all are 2.4B or higher)

So although I did lose ISK on building my first Nag, I will continue to build, as long as I believe I can sell them using sell orders for somewhat over build cost.

Where do I stand now?

2.54B ISK liquid

170M in inventory (Liquid Ozone cynos)
300M minerals toward next Naglfar.

Total worth: 3.01B ISK

Despite the fact that I took a (small) loss on my first Nag, and that I've run at least one POS continuously (Poses eat fuel, nom nom nom), I've managed to make 110M ISK in 2 months.


For those of you following along at home, that's a horrible return for two months, even considering that I don't play much.  Some people make that in one weekend ratting or LV 4 missioning.  Let's see if things change going forward, hmmm?


Oh, on a side note Parasoja recently noticed he hit Twelve figures liquid.  Congrats Parasoja!  How did he manage it?  Well, capital ship construction.  Lets hope, I can join that club some day.

No comments:

Post a Comment